The packing should be changed every 15 hours of operation or, under extreme use, sooner. The life of your silencer packing can vary greatly by your riding conditions and engine state of tune. To repack simply remove the six bolts holding the inlet cap bezel to the silencer can. Pull apart, discard the old packing. Using the correct length Rocket Exhaust Pillow Repack Kit roll the pillow around the silencer core, peal the adhesive strip protector off and finish rolling. Insert the core with the new packing wrapped around it into the silencer. Line up the core to the outlet bezel, push on the inlet bezel and align the core to the inlet ring. Install the six bolts and you’re done.
Take care when washing not get water inside the silencer. Rocket Exhaust highly recommends using a pipe plug. Let the bike cool down and use mild soap and water to wash the pipe. Products such as Simple Green may discolor clear and anodized aluminum surfaces. For blemishes on the silencer use a fine Scotch brite pad to touch up the damaged area. Use of a Scotch brite pad will also restore the finish of the head pipe and mid-pipe.
Pipe Installation Note: In most cases Rocket Exhaust systems will be installed on bikes that have been ridden a few times and or have fallen over once or twice. Point being the subframe has most likely been bent and not even the stock pipe fits correctly. We have designed in two adjustment features that allow for the pipe to be held in place with minimum preload and aligned properly, greatly reducing stress crack failures. First, the mid-pipe to silencer junction in the form of a rotating slip fit allows the silencer hanger bracket to rotate as needed towards or away from the subframe mounting point. Secondly, the silencer hanger bracket has over a half inch of movement simply by loosening two allen bolts allowing it to lay flat on the upper subframe mount. Details are in the pipe installation instructions below. It’s very important to follow these instructions to insure long pipe life and no air leaks. Tools usually required are 8mm, 10mm and 12 mm T-handles or sockets and 5mm and 6mm allen wrenches.
- Remove any side panels that are in the way to gain access to the stock exhaust mounting locations.
- Loosen the head-pipe mounting hardware for a slip-on installation. Remove the head-pipe mounting hardware for a full system installation. Take care not to loose the head pipe gasket. You’ll need it later.
- Remove the mid-pipe mounting hardware, usually located near the kick starter and or on the lower part of the subframe. Also loosen any clamps that might be connecting the mid-pipe to the head-pipe.
- Remove all the mounting hardware that holds the muffler assembly to the subframe.
- Install the Rocket Exhaust head-pipe or in the case of installing a slip-on, leave the stock head pipe on but finger tighten the head pipe mounting bolts. Don’t forget the gasket. We recommend replacing the head-pipe gasket with a new one. Leave the head pipe finger tight so that it can be adjusted later on.
- Apply medium strength high heat Loctite #246 thread locker, or similar product, to the three bolts that hold the mid-pipe to the muffler assembly and finger tighten them assuring that you can still rotate the silencer and mid-pipe at the flange junction.
- Loosen the two allen bolts that hold pipe hanger bracket to the silencer can. Two turns is usually enough.
- Fit the slip-on to the head-pipe and finger tighten the mid-pipe mounting bolt to the subframe, the three bolts that connect the mid-pipe to the silencer and the bolt that holds the hanger bracket to the subframe.
- At this point the exhaust system is held in place at all the mounting points. Examine the fit and rotate the silencer at the mid-pipe junction to fine tune it.
- Tighten the two head-pipe mounting nuts/bolts to the torque setting recommended in the owners manual.
- Tighten the mid-pipe mounting bolt to the torque setting recommended in your owner’s manual.
- Tighten the three bolts that connect the mid-pipe to the silencer. You may need to rotate the silencer again to fine tune the fit.
- Tighten the two allen head bolts that hold pipe hanger bracket to the silencer can. Take care to align the bracket so that it lays flush on the subframe.
- Tighten the bolt that holds the hanger bracket to the subframe to the torque setting recommended in the owner’s manual.
- Reinstall side panel and enjoy.
Spark Arrestor and Spark Arrestor Stealth Core Installation
Screen type Spark Arrestor and Stealth Core Spark Arrestor are USDA/USFS Qualified. S1-Y787-01.
- Remove the three allen bolts holding the end cap to the silencer assembly.
- The end cap, nozzle plate and nozzle will fall off in your hand.
- Install Spark Arrestor or Stealth Core with the screen pointed inside the silencer.
- Reinstall the nozzle, nozzle plate and end cap and tighten the three allen bolts.
- Repack/Pipe Care
Please note that this is a high performance lightweight product and requires routine maintenance and proper installation.
Rocket Exhaust warrants its Racer Series, Stealth Series and TiCarbon Series Offroad, ATV and Sportbike, aluminum silencers, stainless steel and titanium mid-pipes and head pipes for a period of one year against workmanship and material failure from the date of purchase, and to the original owner.
Under the terms of said warranty, Rocket Exhaust will repair or replace the defective part at their discretion. Rocket Exhaust does not pay for the removal or installation of the affected product nor any cost associated with the delivery and pick up of said product. This warranty only covers the original purchaser. To obtain warranty service said customer must contact the warranty department at Rocket Exhaust and obtain a return authorization number which must be clearly marked on the return package. Also said customer must provide original sales receipt or other form of proof of purchase.
Rocket Exhaust shall not be responsible for any consequential, special or incidental damages of any nature, including, but not limited to, the loss of the vehicle on the which the product was installed, and the cost of obtaining another replacement exhaust system.
This warranty is valid only if the proper part number was installed on the proper vehicle and operated and maintained with in reasonable guidelines. This warranty is not valid if the system is modified or altered, installed improperly, dropped/crashed, or serviced by anyone other than Rocket Exhaust.